ponderance

a place to let go...

Name:
Location: Singapore

Thursday, October 20, 2005

All About Art

I would like to share this incident, and the resulting trip down memory lane...

At one of my family gatherings, my aunt remarked to me, "Yasmin, aku nampak laki2 hensem. Sekali pandang nampak macam Art Fadzil. Rupa2nya, laki Min."

Huh?! Iryan looks like Art Fadzil?

I stared at my husband hard. On that day, in that light, he did look just a little bit like Art Fadzil. (emphasis on little)

"Jangan Mak Busu, kita peminat setia Art Fadzil tau."

"Patutlah cari laki muka macam Art Fadzil."

He he he... its true. I am quite a big fan of Art Fadzil. But until that day, it had never occurred to me that my hubby resembled Art (even if only just a little bit).
(My husband was a trifle insulted to be compared to Art. He he he...)

I became a fan of Art Fadzil back in 1992 (or was it 1993?). I had attended a gathering organized by Berita Harian, which gathering was meant for the regular contributors of the column. Nanny had contributed a few times. Me, not even once. He he.. But I read the column every week.

The turnout was actually quite dismal. I think there were less than 15 people in the auditorium at the old Marine Parade library that day. The events that had been organized included a pantun "fight" (balas2 pantun) and of course, a performance by Art Fadzil. The participants of the pantun event were not very good, but very distinguished judges had been invited so it all felt very weird.

Anyway, I was feeling kind of sleepy, when Art was invited to give his performance. He sang a few songs. I remember being so mesmerized by the whole performance. That was the first time I watched a really really good live show. I was converted into a fan for life after that.

Afterwards, the people there crowded around Art, wanting his autograph. I saw him looking kind of disoriented by the crowd as Nanny and I descended the stairs. I didn't ask for an autograph. (Come on, you all know me. When have I ever asked a celebrity for an autograph? Too much pride, I suppose. Maybe if Bon Jovi comes to town..)

Years later when I was working at my old firm, I became very friendly with the pakcik security guard at my building. He would reserve a copy of the (now defunct) Streats and Today newspaper for me every morning. One day I found out that he is Art Fadzil's father! (He showed me photographs of him holidaying in London during his son's convocation.)

Wow! What a coincidence. Too bad I already had a boyfriend at that time (and was about to get engaged). Otherwise, boleh mintak Pakcik kenal2kan. He he he... (Just kidding, hubby dear!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home