ponderance

a place to let go...

Name:
Location: Singapore

Sunday, February 05, 2006

About Freedom of the Press

I was watching a programme on BBC yesterday, something called Hardline or Hardtalk (honestly, my memory is not very trustworthy these days)...

The interviewer (I have forgotten his name) was interviewing Flaming, the journalist who commissioned the cartoons on Prophet Muhammad (pbuh) and the Danish Imam who had brought the cartoons to the attention of the Muslim world.

To the Danish journalist he fired questions about why the fellow commissioned the cartoons - did he not take into account the context of the Muslim situation right now? The journalist was trying to justify himself by saying that the Danish have a satirical humour. They make fun of everything, their political leaders, Jesus Christ, etc.. And so it irked him that everybody is "afraid" to publish cartoons like these because of fear of offending the Muslims. I.e. the freedom of press is compromised.

Personally, I think the journalist is either a bigot (which he claimed he was not), or highly ignorant about Muslims in general (which is kind of unacceptable if your chosen profession is journalism, don't you think?) Amidst the background of the 9-11 and the general attitude towards Muslims by the Western World and vice-versa, is that not reason enough to be extra cautious about religious sensitivities when publishing?

There is a reason why freedom of press must be tempered by religious/ cultural sensitivities, especially in the context of our volatile global social climate. I think we in Singapore have learned that the hard way. I am thinking of the racial riots in the fifties and sixties. I think amidst our multi cultural and multi-religious society, it is just a given that we have to be extra careful and sensitive in our dealings with other cultures.

I actually have more to say on the subject, but I am too tired to form my thoughts properly, so.. here ends my quick 2 cents worth.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home